Bite guards, also known as occlusal guards or night guards, are a custom-made oral appliance designed to protect your teeth and smile at night while you sleep. Dr. Chris often recommends a bite guard to help manage bruxism (teeth grinding and clenching), TMJ disorders and other conditions.
If you wake with any of the following symptoms, it may be a sign that you need a bite guard:
- Chronic jaw pain, facial pain and ear pain
- A tired or tight feeling in the jaw
- Frequent tension headaches and migraines, especially in the morning
- Extremely worn teeth
- Teeth which are flattened, chipped or cracked
- Worn down tooth enamel which exposes the inner layers of the tooth
- Gum recession near damaged teeth
- Indentations on the side of the tongue
- Increased tooth sensitivity, especially to temperature
Bite guards are custom designed to fit your mouth perfectly, giving you a comfortable and effective solution that will protect your teeth. Once your bite guard has brought your bruxism under control, our dentist will work with you to find an appropriate restorative treatment and give you back a healthy smile.
To schedule a consultation with Dr. Chris and learn more about the benefits of bite guards in Laguna Niguel, California, call Smile Moderne today at (949) 554-1563.